Sunday 9 August 2015

The Great rock and Roll Cliche

The Great Rock and Roll Cliche
A Selection of my favourites

I'm into rock music. Like, really into it. I'm not in the least bit ashamed. I've tried to like other types of music, I really have. I'm pretty sure that at my age (34, thanks for asking) I should have outgrown some of my CD collection by now but much to the embarrassment of anyone who knows me, I haven't and don't intend to any time soon. Anything from Aerosmith to Zyklon; if it rocks, I'm there. My wife has my permission to kill me if I ever fall out of love with Slayer, such is my dedication.

I've sometimes wondered why, though. Much like any genre, rock/metal is littered with cliché, and just as pronounced. Hip hop, for example, is cliché central: songs about attainment, gold, cars, sexual prowess and a distasteful misogynistic undertone. It reminds me of 80s hair metal but with defined pectorals instead of cocaine hangovers. Heavy metal is no exception so I've taken it upon myself to list some of my favourite rock cliches, in no particular order and with hopefully minimal references to Spinal Tap. Here's the first five.

  1. Foot on the monitor
The rock pose of choice. When at a gig, there is little more pleasing to my eyes than seeing a rock god frontman stood in this pose while belting out your favourite anthem. Notable proponents are Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden and Slipknot's Corey Taylor. The monitors are those speakers that line the front of the stage. They're supposed to be for there so the musicians can hear how they sound, however for me, they're put to much better use as little footstools to allow better delivery of 'Run To The Hills'.

Image result for bruce dickinsonImage result for corey taylor live
  1. Introducing the guitar solo
I love this. Every once in a while you'll hear a song where the 2nd chorus is coming to an end and you know there's a guitar solo on the way. To improve your listening pleasure, the singer helpfully calls for 'Guitar!' or commands 'Go!', almost as if giving permission for the lead guitar player to commence shredding. Particularly good examples are: Funeral For A Friend's 'She Drove Me To Daytime Television', which greets the final breakdown riff with a mighty “Go!”; Therapy?'s 'Bad Karma Follows You Around', which introduces the sloppy, sleazy guitar solo with a fine “Mercy!”; and finally a live version of 'Even Flow' by Pearl Jam where Eddie Vedder goes for the understatement of “Let me introduce you to Michael...” before Mick Mcready absolutely slays it.

Image result for eddie vedder mike mccready

  1. The guitar solo
The cornerstone of any awesome rock song. Seldom adding anything to the song, often self indulgent and nothing more than a chance for the lead guitar player to show off, but utterly indispensable. Where would be 'Sweet Child O' Mine' be without Slash's two-for-the-price-of-one multi-tempo solo? 'Reach Down' by Temple Of The Dog lasts about 11 minutes; roughly 8 of them are guitar solo, and it's epic. 'Enter Sandman' is elevated from great to legendary by Kirk Hammett's wah-heavy widdling and don't get me started on Iron Maiden's twin leads because I'd be on all day. You say self-indulgent; I say art.

  1. An obsession with the Dark Side
Slayer aren't Nazis, no more than David Bowie is an astronaut or R.Kelly can actually fly. Suicidal Tendencies weren't actually institutionalised. Black Sabbath are not Satanists and I doubt anyone in Metallica has ever been anywhere near a war. But these subjects that are tapped time and again in the pursuit of great rock songs. Were it not for Therapy?'s tendency to plumb the depths of human experience or Refused's socially conscious fury at the world around them their songs would not have the depth or longevity they carry. In rock, the dark side is your friend.

  1. Big in Japan
The cliché of cliches is than whenever a rock band is down on their luck they can always head East, fill venues and charge whatever they like. I've never been to Japan so I don't know what causes this but a pre-breakup Wildhearts made the trip and did very well, famously the closing scene of the wonderful Anvil: The Story of Anvil sees the endearing 80s also-rans play to hundreds of screaming fans. And yes, Spinal Tap did the same.

Image result for big in japan spinal tap

There are dozens more. There's also no explanation for why I love the music I love, despite or maybe because of its inherent cliches. It gives me endless comfort, and the familiarity of cliché is part of that.


Do you have any favourites? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment