Thursday 30 June 2016

Cattle Decapitation vs. Beverley Knight: my week in weird gig combos

Think Tank, Newcastle, 21/06/16
The Sage, Gateshead, 22/06/16

Well this was a strange week and one that, musically, could only be described as 'eclectic'. I had never been to a show at Newcastle's impressive Sage venue and seeing that one of my wife's favourite singers was playing there, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone: seeing the venue for the first time and chalking up some serious brownie points. Alas, Beverley Knight cancelled her show (some flimsy excuse about a sore throat. Pfft...) so the wife and I ended up drinking cocktails all afternoon instead.

Knight's rescheduled date, only a couple of weeks later, turned out to be the day after a show that I definitely wasn't going to persuade my wife to attend. San Diego's finest death/grind exports Cattle Decapitation were playing one of Newcastle's better small venues, Think Tank. I'm not the world's biggest death metal fan and probably couldn't describe where the genre lines lie, but I do enjoy the heavier side of things. Cattle Decap being a band that rarely makes it to these shores, I just couldn't miss it.

Cattle Decapitation are not as nasty as the name suggests. Whereas death metal bands have a tendency to write meaninglessly about unpleasant subjects (early Carcass, any Cannibal Corpse song), and Cattle Decap play up to that at times, they also carry a strong ecological message in some of their work. Originally an all-vegetarian band, their songs tell stories about nature (often in bovine form) reclaiming the Earth from humanity. There was a guy next to us smoking a vapour cigarette, apparently dry ice flavour, and I'm voting for nature to start with him.

Playing as a five-piece tonight, they make some pretty exacting requests for monitor settings and plunge headlong into some pretty fierce DM/grind, played at a speed that would enable them to travel through time. The musicianship on display is impressive as they go through breakneck tempo changes and some of the finest riffs the genre has to offer. What sets them apart from many of their rarefied scene is that their songs are memorable, brought alive by Travis Ryan's vocals. More than just a DM screamer, his voice easily alternates from low-end growl to pitched scream, giving the songs actual choruses. Alas, tonight the sound wasn't great (the make-everything-as-loud-as-possible mix doesn't help) and some of the more technical elements of their songs are lost in the mud, but it's still easy to tell that these guys have some serious talent, and it's great to seem them put it to use writing songs about the end of humanity.

Suffering through the next day with ringing ears and, being at the age where you're genuinely not sure if your hearing will fully recover, I spent the day worrying that my hearing would ever fully recover. With a curious mind and a very excited wife, I headed to the Sage. Having only walked through the vast, pristine foyer before, I was suitably impressed by the wood-lined hall known as Sage 1. Deigned for perfect acoustics, it looks unlike any venue I'd been in before and we took our seats high up in the top gallery with a bird's eye view of the stage. Having arrived early, we were 'treated' to a DJ set from a DJ whose name I can't remember. His modus operandi appeared to be to badly mix songs that you might hear at a wedding, adding ill-fitting beats at seemingly random intervals. So jarring were the rhythms at times, it made the previous night's entertainment sound like Coldplay.

The stage, adorned with a staircase separating drum riser and keyboard banks, lit up and Knight emerged at the top. Opening with 'Soul Survivor', she sounds impeccable and puts on a hell of a show. Please bear in mind that I have no real affection for soul music, and that the previous night I willingly went to see a band called Cattle Decapitation, but I was seriously impressed. The only song of hers that I really knew was 90s hit 'Shoulda Woulda Coulda', and it's not a song I would immediately associate with a powerful singer, more a well written pop song. As Knight started going through tunes from her new record Soulsville, it was clear that I was in the presence of a serious talent and there were times when the voice went straight through you to give a little shiver down the spine. The Sage's sound quality was impeccable and suited her voice to a tee.

Ably supported by an 8-piece band (a soul Slipknot, anyone? Didn't think so) we get hits like 'Gold', 'Greatest Day', 'Get Up' and 'Flavour Of The Old School' (yes, I had to look this up). She's grateful to the (admittedly somewhat diminished, given the rescheduled date) crowd throughout and the main theme from the stage throughout is fun: the band join in with synchronised dancing and use the stage to it full effect, and Knight herself is a consummate performer, giving her all both vocally and physically. The crowd lapped it up.


Bravely, Knight gives us a note-perfect Whitney Houston cover as well as her rendition of 'Hound Dog', showing the versatility in that wonderful voice, before ending with an uptempo 'Come As You Are'. People leave the venue smiling from ear to ear, myself included. While I've probably not had my narrow musical horizons widened too much, I've been treated to a reminder of a time just 15-20 years ago when pop stars were actually singers, and the good thing is that lots and lots of other people here remember it too. My overriding feeling is one of bemused pride that my little city can attract such diverse musical quality as the last two nights have shown, and has the venues to do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment