Wednesday 8 June 2016

Funeral For A Band: my fanboy tribute to Funeral For A Friend


I hated these guys when I first heard them. I was something of an elitist douchebag (still am) and the whole 'screamo' scene just got on my nerves: seemingly more about haircuts than songs; every band seemed to have a singer who screamed and another member who did all the singing. It wasn't quite metal, it wasn't anywhere near hardcore, and it seemed to be what all the cool kids were listening to, so naturally I hated it (please refer to my douchebag comment above). Funeral For A Friend were, for me, the worst offenders.

I think it was the vocals. I don't have a problem with rough or screamed vocals, but these guys just sounded contrived, like it didn't come naturally, like they were doing it because it was expected of them. Some record company exec had spent a fortune making sure they had cool music videos and a bunch of paid-for attention in the music press. Arrogant and contrived, no tunes: not interested.

Well, it turns out I was wrong.

They opened for Iron Maiden at Newcastle Arena. With some degree of predetermined apathy I stood cross-armed and watched them walking onstage, preparing to suck... And, in-keeping with the universe's ongoing plan to prove me wrong, Funeral For A Friend were fucking amazing that night and a new fan was born. Playing to a hostile crowd they were fierce, passionate and full of reverence for the headliners. The perfect set should leave you wanting more and that's exactly what they did.

I started listening: debut album Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation was and still is an absolute stunner. From start to finish there is not a second of filler and it shows the confidence of a band that knows its own talent. It's emotional without being twee or trite, it's heavy but memorable and tuneful; what the hell had I not been hearing before? Tunes like 'Juneau', 'She Drove Me To Daytime Television' and 'Bullet Theory' are all incredible but the stunning 'Escape Artists Never Die' is a dynamic, catchy modern rock song. I couldn't get enough.

'Difficult' second albums affect bands differently, but for FFAF they took the pressure in their stride with 2005's Hours. Bigger, more complex, sometimes darker, sometimes more hopeful, they had released an album that admittedly took a while to appreciate. First single, 'Streetcar' is an anthem and 'History', like Pearl Jam's 'Daughter', is a bittersweet uptempo ballad that will mean something different to every listener. Best of all is album opener 'All The Rage': with a twisting riff and melody holding it all together it's a brilliantly arranged song and one of my favourites of any band.

And then something awful happened. Now a fully fledged fan, I was listening intently when the first single from third album Tales Don't Tell Themselves made its debut. My heart sank on hearing 'Oblivion'. So simple, so over-wrought, so middle-of-the-road. My reaction at the time: “Fuck me, they've turned into Bon Jovi.” Indeed it sounded like they had either pandered to studio pressure to become more accessible, suffered some serious writers block and churned out filler, or got old before their time. 'Oblivion', however, kept nagging away at me and I found myself humming it at work. I gave in and bought the album and found myself quite taken by how brave it was for them to all but abandon their early style, releasing what was essentially a melodic concept album about a tragedy at sea and its effect on a community. It's a beautiful and moving album, but one that takes time to adjust to.

Their 'next big thing' status now abandoned by record label and impatient music press alike, they self-released Memory and Humanity in 2008 and for me reaffirmed their status as one of my favourite bands. It's a more immediate album, full of big riffs and dynamic choruses. Such a shame that it was so under-promoted because this, and 2011's Welcome Home Armageddon contain some of their best work. Some of the riffs on display on these albums are worthy of Metallica, but they never lost the melodic flourishes that guitarist Kris Coombs-Roberts brought to the mix. And while their gig attendances seemed to dwindle over this period, they were still a fine live act. Singer Matthew Davies, never less than an energetic performer, had an uncanny knack of never missing a note and the band were tight and always fun.

Their final two albums saw them return to a more aggressive style, probably not evident since their first few EP releases before Casually Dressed. For me, the Conduit and Chapter and Verse albums are good but not great, Davies' vocals less powerful and perhaps no longer suited to the rawer scream he often adopts here. While pleasingly heavy and angry, the subtlety and flourishes that made their earlier songs so successful are missing from a lot of tracks. They could still knock out a killer chorus, but something had faded.

I was disappointed to read that they were calling it a day, but ultimately it made sense. I think the band themselves knew that it was over and decided to call it a day with heads held high. Ending with a series of concerts in which they played Casually Dressed and Hours from start to finish, it's good for a band to acknowledge what the fans wanted to hear and leave the stage with some dignity. As an interesting post-script, I missed their last show in Newcastle because I was given tickets to see Slipknot play (ironically) Newcastle Arena the same night. Funeral were consigned to a much smaller venue, which they failed to fill. I know where I would rather have been.


I really loved this band and it's sad to see them go, but probably the right time for them to do so. Some lyrical clunkers and a terrible cover of 'The Boys Are Back In Town' aside, they rarely put a foot wrong and have me hours of entertainment along the way. 

Thanks guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment